Saturday 26 May 2007

chess again

When will Tim Krabbe (Dutch writer) post again!? His unbelievably (i.e. you won't believe me if you're not into chess) fascinating site needs more attention... Tim, where are you?

Meanwhile, with no TEAM this week (half term) I am back on the e-mail correspondence chess. Charles is playing the Modern Defence and I'm not sure what White is up to...
1. e4 g6
2. d4 Bg7
3. Nf3 d6
4. Bc4 Nf6 (normally I go for a very early g4 and h4, so this counts as "moderate" for me)
5. Nbd2 c6
6. c3 b5
7. Bb3 Ba6
8. Ng5 0-0 (this is a good omen: after ...0-0-0 I usually find myself losing)
9. f4 c5
10. dxc5 (I am expecting ... dxc5, to which I must play 11. e5 if I am to keep my reputation as a slightly unbalanced attacking player)

I managed to lose 7 in a row against Charles ten days ago, so it really ought to be my turn to win (if you're reading this, Charles, please note...)